For someone to get the most out of the Wreck Hunters diving archaeology course, they will need to have met a minimum level of scuba diving experience and pre-requisites.
With advice from Neil Brock, a respected film and television dive consultant and HSE dive training centre owner often working for the likes of the BBC, the team has opted for the following requirements:
- PADI Advanced Open Water or the equivalent, with at least 30 dives under your belt
- Minimum age is 18
- Recognised diving medical and the completion of a medical questionnaire
- DAN insurance is mandatory.
- Candidates should have a first aid qualification
- Participants will be required to take a pre course assessment dive
- Modern well serviced diving equipment is included, and will be available from the dive centre, but feel free to bring your own gear, including mask, fins and computer.
The centre staff provide safety cover and all diving safety has been assessed on the basis of professionally recognised standards of working underwater.
Utila also has easy access to emergency facilities, with an on-site hyperbaric chamber on the island.